The last FOMP meeting was on Monday 4th of February, 7pm at Hither Green Baptist Church.
Apologies: Martin Hyde (LB Lewisham), Cllr Damien Egan (Lewisham Central) and Virginia Nimarkoh (Groundwork)
Attendance ~ 8 people attended on a cold and wintry evening, The Friends of Mountsfield Park included the following: Police Officers from Rushey Green Safer Neighbourhoods Team, Barbara Veale, Cllr Helen Klier( Rushey Green Councillor) Anne-Marie (Lewisham Gardens website) Rory McNally (Chair), Godfrey Smith (Author of Hither Green: The Forgotten Hamlet: Including the Corbett Estate), Carl from Glendale.Carl from Glendale made notes and responded to concerns raised by park users about how Mountsfield Park is managed and maintained.
- Attendees heard that Groundwork and LB of Lewisham are hoping to raise additional funds for further consultation aimed at young people, before proceeding with the planned improvements to the park.
- Police officers from Rushey Green Neighbourhood team told the group that crime and antisocial behavior in the park has lessened in recent months. They also expressed their concern that the George Lane entrance is left open all night, which may lead to nightime crime in the park.
- We were told by Glendale that Jimmy Botton has pulled out of running the park cafe and that it would be closed until another arrangement is made,
- We now have a new park keeper, Barry Walker (correction – Jon Hooker is the new park keeper) who will be based at Mountsfield Park every day except Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- Barbara Veale reported back from a Hither Green Community Association meeting. The proposed Mountsfield Park café was discussed and it was suggested that a commercially run café would be more reliable than a community organised and run facility.